Camp Omi in a Box: Artgarten (with In-Person Sessions!)
Camp Omi in a Box : Artgarten is a weekly subscription to a series of make-at-home art projects, online tutorials, and interactive online gatherings for kids 3 - 5. Anchored by a weekly box of specialty art materials, tools, and products Camp Omi in a Box includes activity prompts and access to exclusive online tutorials by Camp Omi Teaching Artists. Children also participate in optional in-person sessions from 9 am to noon on Mondays and Fridays, or interactive Google Meet sessions where Campers learn and share! (Please note that children must be 4 or 5 years old to opt for the in-person session.) Children may participate in a single week, or the whole seven-week program. Camp Omi in a Box: Artgarten provides projects for kids ages 3-5 with pick-ups either the Friday before the Monday Google Meet session, or at the conclusion of the Monday in-person session.
Camp Omi in a Box is designed for kids ages 6-10, and includes socially distanced in person sessions every Monday and Friday from 9 am. - noon. Younger children in both programs will need parent assistance and/or supervision. While some projects are designed to be more independent than others, we like to think of the program as fun and engaging for the whole family!
What's in the Box?
Each 18” x 12" x 3” cardboard carrying case contains each and every material, tool, and product a camper needs to complete four art projects. Just like at Camp Omi, projects originate from our four studios - 2D Studio, 3D Studio, Performance Art, and Field Studies (Science + Nature in Art) - and are dreamed up by our amazing teaching artists. Activity prompts encourage visits to the sculpture park and themes focus on contemporary art, artists, and ideas. Boxes also contain instructional guides, invitations to two live online sessions, and links to fun video tutorials led by your favorite Camp Omi teachers!
Are the weeks different?
Yes! Every week is organized with a different theme and incorporates a new artwork. Click below for details about the projects and theme of any of the seven weekly sessions.
- Week 1: Color Me Happy [July 6 - 10] SOLD OUT
- Week 2: Topsy Turvy, Zigzag Curvy [July 13 - 17] In-person sessions SOLD OUT; boxes still available for online sessions only.
- Week 3: Backstage Pass [July 20 - 24]
- Week 4: Artful Journey [July 27 - 31]
- Week 5: Drip, Drop! Waterology [Aug 3 - 7]
- Week 6: Nature Made [Aug 10 - 14]
- Week 7: Art of Play [Aug 17 - 21] This week does not include in-person sessions. All sessions will be held online.
How much does it cost?
- Camp Omi in a Box: Artgarten is $145/week, with a 10% discount for 2+ weeks by using the coupon code MULTIWEEK at checkout.
- Scholarships are available and cover 50% of the subscription cost. Email Sasha at email@example.com to apply. If you have already applied and qualified for Financial Aid for Camp Omi or Artgarten 2020, you will receive a 50% discount (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your discount code).
How do I register?
The Virtual Drawing Group invites Art Omi's extended community to draw along at home! Virtual Drawing Group participants share their work and connect with the group via a weekly Zoom session on Thursday at 5 pm EST. All styles and media welcome. Registration is capped, and so participants are encouraged to reserve a spot in advance.
You can also engage with by completing the weekly prompts and tagging your work on Instagram or Facebook! Use #artomi and #educationomi to share your work.
Weekly Prompts & Zoom info:
- April 23: Figure and Nature Combined
- April 30: Figures from Quarantine
- May 7: News Figures
- May 14: Mixed Media
- May 21: Unconventional Tools
- May 28: Focus on Portraits
- June 4: Blind or Semi-Blind Contour
- June 11: Figures from Memory
- June 18: Open Share
- July 2: Three Tone Series
- July 23: Movement
- August 13: Emotive Figures
- August 27: Using Text
- September 10: Monochromatic Color Scheme
- Sept 24: Abstraction
Open Figure Drawing for Adults gathers Wednesday evenings either in the Sculpture & Architecture Park or via Zoom sessions to sketch, draw, and render from a live model. Open to artists of all skill levels ages 16+, each two-hour sessions is self-guided and intended to provide time and space for members of our local community to share in the exploration of this traditional art practice.
How can we take control of the stories that we tell ourselves and others? This class will focus on creating character and storytelling through figurative sculpture. There will be an emphasis on developing a personal artistic style through character design and the utilization of motifs and symbols. Inspired by artists of the past and present, students will use a variety of tools, materials, and techniques as they consider figurative poses, the power of gesture, and understand how to develop their own visual language. Representational or abstract, there are no boundaries as to what you can create in this multimedia workshop! Students will be assigned to their very own studio space in our residency Barn. No prior experience necessary.